Murphy Surveys Ltd was commissioned by Fingleton White & Co. Ltd to carry out a measured survey of an existing Natural Gas Above Ground Installation (AGI) and Station House Facility located at Naas, Co.Kildare.
Extent and Complexity of Survey Area
The client requirements were for the following to be surveyed:
- Structural Frame and cladding.
- Position and size of the main structural elements.
- Position and size of all secondary steelwork including purlins, sheeting-rails and anti-sag rods.
- Position and size of service trays, pipes and fittings suspended from the structures#
- Elevations showing extent of cladding and penetrations/ openings.
- Pipe locations and levels including flange positions.
- Levels of the perimeter ground beams indicating position of any cracks.
- Position and size of all plinths and other pipe/ plant supports/ maintenance walkways.
The survey was outputted in Autodesk AutoCAD & Bentley Microstation format and included the following drawings;
- Overall site plan
- AGI & Station House Building Ground Floor Plan
- AGI & Station House Building Roof Plan
- AGI & Station House Building External Elevations
- AGI & Station House Building Internal Sections
- 3D CAD Model of entire structure internally and externally
Once all the client-supplied documents were reviewed and the client’s requirements were considered, Murphy Surveys Ltd chose a combination of HDS Laser scanning, Total Station and Digital Levelling & Photography to survey the existing structure. At all times best practice guidelines for precise surveying in Ireland are published by the Irish Institution of Surveyors, 2004 (ISBN 0-9533154-2-8).
Murphy Surveys Ltd. have extensive knowledge and experience of laser scanning and this allowed the survey to be undertaken efficiently and accurately which minimised the disruption to the client and ensured all the required information was obtained in once visit. Laser Scanning ensured additional site visits were not required.
The data captured by Murphy Surveys Ltd was then processed, checked and audited by our in-house laser scanning team and outputted in Autodesk AutoCAD & Bentley Microstation format for use by the client.